The 2024 Indiana General Assembly is in session, and we are happy to report ongoing progress on a few key bills!
- HB 1067, IDD Task Force and Program Oversight Boards, updates the compositions of the Indiana Commission on Aging and CHOICE Board to include vital consumer and caregiver input as well as crucial expertise on housing and the direct care workforce.
- SB 109, Adult Protective Services, provides much needed flexibility in how the state may operate its adult protective services program.
- SB142, Coverage for Mobile Integrated Health Services, establishes a pilot program that opens doors for health insurance payments for mobile integrated health services, which often make referrals to AAAs for persons in need.
We continue to look for ways to move language forward from stalled SB 231, CHOICE Program, which provides more local flexibility in AAA contracts with CHOICE providers to address significant provider shortages. And we are advocating for interim legislative study of how the Indiana Medicaid program can better support housing for older adults and people with disabilities, and how community health workers in AAAs can best address social isolation in older adults.
Finally, as session got underway in January, we were pleased to recognize Rep. Greg Porter and Rep. Jeff Thompson as our 2023 IAAAA Legislative Champions for their work last year related to the Indiana Dementia Specialist Program and the biennial state budget which included several appropriations forwarding services for older adults and people with disabilities in Indiana.
IAAAA advocates and provides input on legislation affecting older adults, people with disabilities and social determinants of health. We prioritize issues that significantly affect older adults and people with disabilities of any age such as:
- CHOICE budget and its use
- Social determinants of health
- Family caregiver supports and concerns
- Dementia-related initiatives
- In-home care workforce
- Elder justice
- Guardianship and less restrictive alternatives
- Affordable housing
- Reliable transportation
- Social engagement
- Broadband connectivity and digital inclusion
IAAAA advocates year-round at the Indiana Statehouse including in interim study committees that meet annually in late summer and early fall.